Saturday, December 13, 2008

Zakk Wylde and Thinking Outside the Box

For those of you who don't know him, Zakk Wylde is the guitarist that worked with Ozzy Osbourne starting in 1987.  When Zakk started playing the songs that were Randy Rhoades legacy, he did so with one problem - Zakk doesn't like using his pinky on his left hand to play the notes on the fret board.  In order to play the notes, he has to move either up or down the neck of the guitar to duplicate the notes his pinky doesn't want to play.

I remember reading that thinking, pretty clever!  So how does that relate to crafting?  I'm making a set of memory pillows this weekend for a friend to give to family members for Christmas.  The pillows feature a photo printed onto special fabric and then framed by coordinating fabrics.  They are basically simple, but the true way to do them is to use mitered corners.  Unfortunately, try as I might, I can't miter.  I've watched shows like Fons & Porter and even have an excellent step-by-step guide from Alex Anderson.  No use, my miters never land in line with the corners of the photo.

So like Zakk, I just needed to think outside the box.  I learned to quilt using the log cabin method.  It's an easy technique and the perfect solution to creating a frame for someone's precious photo.  I'll be taking photos of the process this weekend and will hopefully, be able to post a how-to at a later date.

So next time you're stuck on a technique, just go with your strengths and figure out another way - your way - and create a wonderful project!

No comments:

Post a Comment